Saturday, October 03, 2009

Race Day

I completed my first ever 10k race today!  It was a Zoo Run!  The day was beautiful and temps were unbeatable!  It was a bit chilly this morning, but about 53 degrees at the start of the race.  Just perfect!

Here we are at the start.  Rachel thought it was a bit too bright.  So, it was just me and road today, no tunes.  I could have had some tunes, but didn't know it until it was too late.  Normally, you aren't allowed to wear headphones in a race, but I guess this one was different.  They seemed a tad bit unorganized, but not too bad.  The timing devices did malfunction though.  :) 


Here I am about to cross the finish line.  I don't know what my "official" time was because of the malfunction, but I did use my watch and according to that I finished at 1:00:58.  I was hoping to be under an hour, but I was sure close!  I think it was the extra .2 that cost me the time, but that's ok.  I mainly wanted a practice run before the Half in November.  Here we are at the end.

Without my tunes I had to keep my mind busy for 6 miles so here's what you get...

  • Best sound of the day: "Listen to all those feet!!"  Said by a small boy on the sidelines at the start


  • Worst sound of the day:  The person a little behind me and slightly to my right who let it rip at about mile 3.


  • Funniest statement of the run:  "Who's got a Garmin?"  Woman in the race thru the wooded area


  • Most inspiring runner:  The little grandma I passed in mile 4 with her once-a-week-beauty-shop-hair just running away like it was no big deal


  • Best part of the day: rounding the corner and seeing the finish line and being able to hear my girls screaming "GO MOMMY! RUN MOMMY!!!" 

No comments: