Monday, November 28, 2011

'Tis The Season...

For Christmas music!

Since the tender age of 5 when I began taking piano lessons, which would last even into my college years, music has been a very integral part of my life.  I love it, despite the fact I begged to give up taking lessons in high school (thanks mom, for telling me no, I am grateful!)  Thoughts, feelings and emotions can be expressed thru music in a ways which the spoken or written word can only dream of.  There’s just something about putting words to a melody that can touch you like nothing else.

I love all things Christmas; especially the music.  There’s a feeling this time of year that just isn’t same any other time of the year.  Not because of the shopping or the presents, but the actual spirit of the season.  The lights outside brighten up the dark nights, the Christmas trees inside give interest to the otherwise unchanging landscape of boring living room furniture (or kitchen or bedroom in my house as I have more than one or two trees).  The music though, warms my soul and brightens my world.  Whether it be the traditional sounds such as “Silent Night” or something fun and upbeat like “Run Run Rudolph” there’s just something about it.

So, over the next few weeks until Christmas I hope you will indulge me by letting me share my most favorite Christmas songs and a little about why they are.  I hope that you all will join in the spirit of the season and remember why it even exits at all. Without further ado, and in no particular order, I give you song #1!

 “O Holy Night”

This song really says it all, the one an only reason for Christmas at all; the birth of our Savior.  A night divine, indeed!  The day when the hope of all mankind was born as flesh and blood and the chance of redemption for every person made possible.  What an amazing night! I can’t even begin to imagine the Shepherds in the fields as they saw the Angel in the night proclaiming His birth.  I don’t know about you, but I’ve never seen an angel and I can only fathom that if I had at that time I would either 1) fainted immediately or 2) required a new change of clothes.  Either way I would have realized something incredibly amazing was happening.

Here is my very favorite version of this song.  Sung by Katharine McPhee, it is the purest and most beautiful arrangement I’ve ever heard.  Something about just the piano and her quiet, clear vocals lend a grace to this song no others have matched, in my opinion.  I also have a thing for using minor chords in an other wise Major key and the bridge of this song is amazing.  I love to turn on this song, turn off all the lights, lay in the floor and let it just flood over me.  Yes, I know I’m strange, but you should already know that by now! :)  Just try it, I dare you, you’ll see what I mean!

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvsWf25qIE&feature=related

No comments: